一、单项选择：（共30题, 每题1分, 满分30分）
1. The train travels ____ the boat.
A. 6 times as fast as B. 6 times as faster as
C. as 6 times fast as D. faster than 6 times
2. She was made ____ the answer ____ the question.
A. find; to B. finding; for
C. to find; for D. to find; to
3. You will miss the train ____ you start at once.
A. if not B. when C. if D. unless
4. ——You dont look fine. What have you been doing these days？
——I ____ every night to finish writing letters to those____ ask for my advice on reading.
A. stay out; that B. stay up; who C. stay in; / D. stay late; whom
5. ——What about having a drink？
A. Good idea B. Help yourself
C. Go ahead, please D. Me, too
6. My mother is interested in ____ you have said.
A. all that B. all what C. that D. which
7. You may take anything ____.
A. you want B. which you want
C. that you want it D. what you want
8. ——How often ____ the Olympics held？
A. are; Every the fourth year B. are; Every four years
C. is; In four years D. is; Every fourth year
9. The person I spoke ____ a face to us.
A. made B. to make C. to made D. make
10. ——You think it is a waste of time ____ such things, ____？
——Yes, I think so.
A. to do; is it B. to do; do you
C. doing; isnt D. doing; dont you
11. The biggest book, ____ this text is taken, was written by a famous English writer, I think.
A. which B. from which C. that D. of which
12. How is the film ____ I often talked to you？
A. which B. on which C. that D. about which
13. The Olympic Games ____ liked by almost everyone in the world.
That is why more and more countries decided ____ the Olympics.
A. is; to join B. are; to join
C. is; to take part in D. are; to take part in
14. The hero of the story is an artist in his ____.
A. thirtieth B. thirty C. thirtys D. thirties
15. She thought I was talking about her daughter, ____ in fact, I was talking about my daughter.
A. whom B. where C. which D. while
16. It is impolite to make fun ____ those ____ trouble.
A. of; in B. to; in C. on：in D. of; of
17. Its time for me to ____ my work. I have a lot of things to do.
A. turn to B. return on
C. return to D. return back to
18. The high building ____ stand two guards is the police station.
A. in front of which B. in front of it
C. that D. which
19. Bob and Tom are ____ students ____ Australia. Now they are
studying in China.
A. all; in B. all; from C. both; on D. both;from
20. Mother couldnt ____ who ____ the glass.
A. find; broke B. understand; would break
C. know; broke D. find out; had broken
21. One subject ____ country music often returns is “the good old days”. A. ／ B. that C. it D. to which
22. ——Why not ____ to the new teacher？
A. to give some advice B. give some advices
C. to give some advices D. give some advice
23. The more he thought, ____ he felt.
A. the more worried B. the most worried
C. the more worrying D. the most worrying
24. Write to CCTV and ____ more ____ about it.
A. ask; information B. ask about; information
C. offer; information D. ask for; information
25. Your advice is ____ great value to me.
A. for B. to C. of D. with
26. ——Is the radio useful for your English study？
——No. I dont think that ____.
A. had helped me B. can use
C. would help D. does good
27. The TV play isnt interesting ____.
A. to watch it B. to be watched C. watching D. to watch
28. Tom was disappointed that most of the guests ____ when he ____ at the party.
A. left; had arrived B. had left; had arrived
C. left; arrived D. had left; arrived
29. Id like to take my first picture ____ stands the high tower.
A. where B. which C. that D. in which
30. He suddenly returned ____ a rainy night.
A. on B. at C. in D. during
Water costs money. In some places water is hard __31__. What __32__ when a town has these problems？A small town in California found a happy __33__.
Very __34__ rain ever fell there. The town had no water __35__. The water it used was __36__from a river 300 miles（英里） away. As more people __37__ live in the town,__38__ water was needed. Now water __39__ to be brought in from 600 miles away. All these cost __40__ money.
The town __41__ a plan. It found __42__ to clean its “dirty” water. Once the cleaned water was reused __43__ many ways, five __44__ lakes were built. Here people could swim and fish and go __45__. They __46__ have picnics in their new parks. Farmers had more water __47__ their crops. New factories can be built, now that they have the promise of __48__.
In most places, water is used and thrown __49__. The town that saved __50__ water has saved the town！
31. A. supplying B. getting C. to get D. to supply
32. A. happens B. happening C. is happened D. happened
33. A. key B. answer C. answering D. way
34. A. little B. a little C. few D. a few
35. A. of itself B. of its own C. for its own D. for itself
36. A. fetch B. take C. brought in D. guided
37. A. come to B. came to C. coming to D. came for
38. A. many B. plenty of C. more D. many more
39. A. has B. had C. must D. needed
40. A. many B. a few C. a great many D. a lot of
41. A. put B. made C. supply D. noticed
42. A. a way B. ways C. an answer D. a key
43. A. for B. by C. at D. in
44. A. man-making B. man-make C. man-made D. man made
45. A. boating B. to boat C. to boating D. on boating
46. A. must B. could C. needed D. had to
47. A. as B. with C. for D. to
48. A. water enough B. enough water C. crops enough D. enough crops
49. A. off B. of C. away D. out of
50. A. its B. its C. ones D. his
People need to relax and enjoy themselves. One way they can have a good time is to watch a baseball game or another sports event. Even thousands of years ago, groups of people gathered to watch skilled athletes（运动员）.
Over 2000 years ago in Greece, certain days in the year were festival days. These were holidays when people stopped work and enjoyed themselves. They liked to watch athletes take part in races and other games of skill.
The most important festival was held every four years at the town of Olympia. It was held in honor of the Greek god Zeus（Zus）. For five days, athletes from all parts of the Greek world took part in the Olympic Games. At the Olympic Games, people could watch them box, run, jump and so on. There was a relay race between two teams of men in which a lighted torch（火矩） was passed from runner to runner. The Olympic Games were thought to be so important that cities which were at war with one another had to stop fighting. People were allowed to travel to the games safely. Thousands of people came to Olympia from cities in Greece and from her colonies（殖民地） in Africa, Asia and Italy. They met as friends to cheer for their favorite athletes and to enjoy themselves.
51. What happened in Greece over 2000 years ago？____.
A. People stopped work and enjoyed themselves
B. The cities there were often against one another
C. People watched baseball games
D. People didnt go to any games at all
52. What were those countries in Africa？____.
A. Friends B. Enemies C. Colonies D. Other cities
53. What did people do at the games？____.
A. They fought
B. They just talked to friends
C. They cheered for good athletes
D. They tried to find friends
54. Greek cities then were fighting so they ____.
A. were weak
B. were strong
C. couldnt go to other cities freely
D. could see each other
55. The best title for the story is“____”.
A. Greece at War B. Together for the Games
C. Stop Fighting D. Sport
Sometimes a book can help change history. One book that certainly did was Uncle Toms Cabin, written by Harriet Beecher Stowe. It was a book that spoke out against slavery（奴隶制）.
As Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote her book, there were over 3.5 million slaves in the United States. Slaves were usually in the cotton-growing states of the South. The Northern States had ended slavery. Yet, most Northerners were not strongly against slavery. They did not mind slavery continued（继续） in the South.
Stowe decided to make people understand that slavery was very bad. Each night after putting her six children to bed, she worked on her book. She told the story of an old slave. Tom, and Simon Legree, a slave owner. She also told how the slaves tried to run away for freedom（自由）. Uncle Toms Cabin first came out（发行） in 1852. Over 300,000 books were sold out in a year.
People had different ideas about the book. In the north, many people finally believe that slavery must be ended after they read the book. In the South, many people were very angry at the people in the North. By 1861 the two parts of the country were at war（战争）. The Civil War, which lasted until 1865, finally brought an end to slavery at last.
Of course, there were many things that made the Civil War happen. Yet, Uncle Toms Cabin surely played a part（起作用）. Stowe met President Lincoln（林肯总统） in 1862, as Lincoln shook her hand, he said, “So you are the little woman who started the big war.”
56. Before Uncle Toms Cabin came out, most Northerners ____.
A. were slaves in the South
B. didnt know how bad slavery was
C. kept slaves in their house
D. understood that slavery was wrong
57. While many Northerners agreed with Harriet Stowe, ____.
A. many Southerners wanted war
B. many Southerners didnt read the book
C. many Southerners were angry at her
D. some slaves tried to run away from the North
58. From the story, we can see that ____.
A. Stowe was a very young woman
B. Stowes husband was dead when she wrote the book
C. Stowe wrote her book with stories from her six children
D. Stowe could not work on her book during the day-time
59. Uncle Toms Cabin was ____.
A. a book about Harriet Beecher Stowe
B. a history book
C. a book that helped change the history
D. a book about the American Civil War
60. Harriet Beecher Stowe ____.
A. was a little woman who started the American Civil War
B. was a writer who hated the slavery
C. was a widow（寡妇） who had six children
D. was a famous writer because she met President Lincoln
The city of Venice, in Italy, is one of a kind. It is built on more than 120 islands. My friend was just off arrival. After explaining where my new house was, I told him that I had left the key under the doormat. Since I knew it would be quite late before I could get back, I suggested that he make himself at home and help himself to anything that was kept in the refrigerator（冰箱）.
Two hours later my friend phoned me from the house. At the moment, he said, he was listening to some of my records after having had a nice meal. He had found the pan and meat in the refrigerator. Now, he was drinking a cup of tea and hoped that I would join him soon. When I asked him if he had any difficulty finding the house, he answered that the only problem was that he had not been able to find the key under the doormat, but luckily, the living room window by the apple tree had been left open andhe had climbed in through the window. I listened to all these in great surprise. There is no apple tree outside my window, but there is one by the living room window of my next-doorneighbors house！
61. When my friend arrived, I could not go to meet him because ____.
A. we were not good friends
B. I was busy at work
C. he had not told me that he would come
D. I did not want to see him
62. A doormat is a mat ____.
A. used as a door
B. for cleaning the bottom of shoes
C. put up on a door as an ornament（装饰物）
D. near a door under which people put their keys
63. I listened to my friends phone call in great surprise because ____.
A. he had not waited for me to eat together
B. he had eaten too much of the food
C. he mistook my neighbors house for mine
D. he had left the house with the window open
64. At last my friend ____.
A. did not enter my house
B. entered my house after he opened the door
C. entered my house by climbing through the window
D. entered my house with the help of my neighbor
65. The writer left the key under the doormat so that ____.
A. nobody would find it
B. he might not lose it
C. his family could use the same key
D. his friend could easily get it
English is fast becoming the language of science around the world, but what is its future among everyday speakers? One expert points out that the percentage(比率) of native English speakers is declining(降低) globally while the languages of other rapidly growing regions are being spoken by increasing numbers of people. But English will continue to remain widespread and important.
However, British language scholar David Graddol says English will probably drop in dominance(主导) by the middle of this century to rank after Chinese, about equally with Arabic, Hindi, and Urdu. “The number of people speaking English as a first language continues to rise, but it isnt rising nearly as fast as the numbers of many other languages around the world, simply because the main population group has been largely in the less developed countries where languages other than English have been spoken,” he says.
In a recent article in the Journal Science, Mr. Graddol noted that three languages that are not near the top of the list of the most widely spoken now might be there soon. These are Bengali, Tamil, and Malay, spoken in south and southeast Asia.
David Crystal, the author of the Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language, says about 1.5 billion of the worlds six billion people speak it as a second tongue compared to the 400 million native speakers. But another expert on the English language says Mr. Graddol underestimates (低估) the future of its dominance. “Nobody quite knows whats going to happen because no language has been in this position before. But all the evidence(证据) suggests that the English language snowball is rolling down a hill and is getting faster,” he said.
66. In David Graddols opinion, English will ____.
A. remain widespread and important
B. be more important than any other language
C. lose its dominant position
D. die away in the near future
67. The underlined sentence in the last paragraph implies that ____.
A. snowballs will roll down faster than language balls
B. the English language snowball is rolling down faster than any time in the past
C. English language will soon drop in dominance
D. more and more language users will choose English
68. How many experts does the passage mention who express their ideas about the future of English? ____.
A. 2 B. 3 C. 4 D. 5
69. According to David Graddol, which of the following will possibly be one of the languages that will be mostwidely spoken? ____.
A. Malay B. Arabic C. Urdu D. German
70. What should be the best title for the passage? ____
A. English Remaining the Dominant Position
B. The Future of English?Who Knows?
C. Opinions from Different Experts
D. The English Language Snowball Rolling Down
One day Mozart saw an old blind street-performer（街头艺人） playing the violin in a street corner. He recognized (认出) the old man was playing one of his compositions（乐曲）. The old man played for some time but the hat in front of him was still empty—nobody had put any money into it. Mozart asked the old man, “Do you often play compositions by Mozart?” “Yes, Sir,” the old man replied. “Now, everybody knows Mozart and likes his music,” “Do you make a living by playing the violin?” The old man said he did. Mozart took over the violin from the old man and began to play.
He played so well that all the passers-by（过路人） stopped to listen to the wonderful music and soon the old mans hat was full of money.
The old man was full of admiration（钦佩） and felt surprised that a man could play so well. He asked Mozart, “Who are you?” “Your colleague（同事）, a poor musician like you.” Then Mozart gave the violin back to the old man and went away.
71. Whats the best title for this passage? ____.
A. Mozart B. A Street-performer
C. An Old Musician D. Mozart and the Street-performer
72. According to this passage, Mozart was ____.
A. a musician B. a violinist C. a street-performer D. an old man
73. Mozart was well-known for ____.
A. his violin B. his name C. his compositions D. his performance
74. The old mans hat was full of money because ____.
A. people knew the old man was poor
B. people knew that it was Mozart
C. people liked the composition very much
D. Mozart played the violin well
75. This passage suggests（暗示） that in those days most musicians ____.
A. were loved by people
B. were street-performers
C. could get much money by playing in the street
D. were poor including（包括） the famous ones
1. Has Mary handed in all the exercise-books？(改为被动语态)
____ all the exercise-books ____ ____ ____ by Mary？
2. The teacher made him clean the lab by himself.(改为被动语态)
He ____ ____ ____ ____ the lab by himself by the teacher.
3. He is popular with the young people.
He is popular with the old people too. （合并成一句）
He ____ ____ ____ popular with the young people ____ with the old people.
4. A lot of people thought well of Liu Huans newest song. (改为被动语态)
Liu Huans newest song ____ ____ ____ ____ by a lot of people.
5. I havent decided which subject I should choose. (改为简单句)
I havent decided ____ ____ ____ ____.
1. Please open the window to let in some f____ air.
2. Columbus d____ America in 1492 and soon people began to settle there.
3. Different kinds of i____ can be put into a computer.
4. He is trying his best to i____ his physics because he is not very good at it.
5. Sixteen gold m____ have been won by our sportsmen.
6. Our school sports meeting is h____ every four years.
7. They held a meeting to talk about the matter and the meeting was very s____.
8. Mr. King is a n____ of mine. He lives next to me.
9. We asked him to explain the problem, but his e____ is not very clear.
10. To speak English well, you need a lot of p____ in spoken English.