词汇短语园地 3

2016-03-01 15:01
时代英语·高一 2016年1期
关键词:火柴区别警告

1. experience n. 经历;体验;感受;遭受

vt. 经历;通过亲身经历认识到;体验到

(1) vt. 经历;体验,后面常接名词或代词作宾语。

Have you ever experienced real hunger?

你体验过真正的饥饿吗?

Our country has experienced great changes in the past ten years.

在过去的十年里,我们的国家经历了巨大的变化。

(2) n. 经历;经历的事(可数)

a common experience 共同的经历

childhood experience 儿时的经历

I have an unusual experience.

我有一段不寻常的经历。

experience用作不可数名词时,意为“经验;体验”,其后常跟介词in。

She has no experience in cooking.

她没有下厨的经验。

I know it from experience. 我根据经验了解此事

(3) experienced有经验的;熟练的,常与in,at连用。

She has become quite experienced at/in teaching primary school students.

她教小学生已经很有经验了。

2. cause vt. 引起;导致

n. 原因;起因

The childs headache may be caused by stress.

那孩子的头痛可能是压力引起的。

Im sorry to have caused you so much inconvenience.

给你造成的诸多不便,我很抱歉。

These causes led to a bad result.

这些原因导致了不良的后果。

I dont think you have cause to worry.

我认为你没有担心的理由。

比较:cause,excuse,reason的区别

(1) cause指造成某现象、某结果的直接原因,常与effect连用。

Can you tell me the cause and effect of it?

你能不能告诉我它的前因后果?

(2) excuse多指借口,用来推卸责任。

I will not listen to any excuse. 我不会听任何借口。

(3) reason指通情达理、合乎情理地解释某事或某现象的理由。

My reason is that the cost will be too high.

我的理由是费用会太高。

3. occur vi. 发生

I hope this wont occur again.

我希望不要再发生这种事情。

比较:occur,take place,happen和break out的区别

(1) occur是比较正式的用语,可用于具体或抽象的事件,在表示具体的事件时,可与happen换用。

Im afraid that this would occur during my absence.

= Im afraid that this would happen during my absence.

恐怕这事会在我不在时发生。

但是,如果表示“某想法”出现在人的头脑之中,这时不能用happen代替。

Just then a bright idea occurred to me.

那时,我想到一个好主意。

(2) take place通常指某事按计划进行或发生。

The Olympic Games of 2016 will take place in Rio de Janeiro.

2016年奥运会将在里约热内卢举行。

(3) happen常指具体事件的发生,特别指那些偶然的或未能预见的“发生”。happen还可表示“碰巧;恰好”之意。

New things are happening all around us.

我们身边总有新鲜事发生。

It happened that I had no money on me.

我刚好没钱了。

(4) break out表示战争、火灾、疾病、争吵等的爆发。

A big fire broke out last night. 昨晚发生了一场火灾。

4. strike v. 打;击;撞;触(礁);(钟)敲响;擦

(火柴;打动(常用被动);感动;突然想到

strike sb on the+身体部位,“打某人的某处”

A stone struck me on the head.

一块石头打中了我的头。

The boat struck on a rock.

小船触礁了。

strike a match 划火柴

The visitors were struck by the beauty of the country.

游客们被这乡村的美丽打动了。

A good idea struck the manager.

经理想到了一个好主意。

strike a blow 打……一拳;击中

strike against(碰)撞在上面

strike at 向……打去;袭去

strike down 把……打倒在地;打死

strike off 打掉;砍掉

5. possibility n. 可能;可能性

Is there any possibility that youll be back by the weekend?

周末以前你有可能回来吗?

There is one possibility of changing a job.

换工作是有可能的事。

6. damage n. & v. 损失;损害

It is estimated that the damage is over one million dollars. 据估计,损失超过了一百万美元。

The boys skirted the field so as not to damage the crops.

为了不损害庄稼,孩子们绕着田走。

比较:ruin,destroy,damage的区别

(1) destroy指“彻底毁坏以致不能或很难修复”。

The school was completely destroyed by fire.

学校被大火彻底烧毁了。

All hopes of a peaceful settlement were destroyed by his speech.

和平解决的一切希望都被他的讲话毁灭了。

(2) damage指“价值、用途降低或外表损坏”等,不一定全部破坏,为不可数名词。

His heart was slightly damaged as a result of the disease.

由于疾病,他的心脏轻微受损。

They managed to repair the houses that had been damaged.

他们设法修复了受到破坏的房子。

(3) ruin现在多用于比喻中,泛指一般的“毁坏”。

Youll ruin your chance of getting that job if you wear that shirt for the interview!

你如果穿那件衬衫面试,就会断送得到工作的机会!

7. warning n. 警告;警示

give (a) warning 发出警告;事前通知

The red light is a warning sign for stop.

红灯是通知停止行进的信号。

Let this be a warning to you.

希望这件事能成为你的警戒。

I had no warning of the danger.

我事先没有危险的警告。

warn v. 事前告诉(可能发生的事);使警惕

warn against 让……提防……

warn about/of... 提醒、警告某人注意……

warn off 让不去;让别做

8. pick up 卷起;掀起;拾起;扶起(某人);收

拾;(车船)中途搭(人);学会

The boy picked up the hat for the old man.

男孩替老人拾起了帽子。

Grandma Li fell down onto the ground and I ran to pick her up at once.

李奶奶跌倒在地,我赶紧跑过去扶她。

You should pick up the tools after work.

工作结束后你应该把工具收拾好。

The bus picks up commuters at three stops.

公共汽车在三个站载送通勤者。

He is picking up the skills quickly.

他正在很快地掌握技术。

9. take off 去掉;脱掉;起飞;减去;取消;移开;

突然开始成功;开始走红;休假

Helens taking off her coat because it is too hot in the room.

海伦脱去上衣,因为屋里太热了。

The plane took off so smoothly that the passengers could hardly feel it.

飞机起飞得非常平稳,旅客几乎感觉不出来。

Your good news has taken a load off my mind.

你的好消息卸下了我心头的一块石头。

10. end up 结果为……;以……结束

If he carries on driving like that, hell end up dead.

他照那样开车,早晚得死于非命。

end up with和end up in都意为“以……结束”,with指以某种方式结束,in后跟的是结果。

If you do that, youll end up with egg on your face.

你要是做那件事,必将以耻辱告终。

If you continue to steal, youll end up in prison.

你要是继续行窃,终归得进监狱。

11. set fire to 放火(焚烧);激起;使激愤

He set fire to his doormat to make the police take what he was saying more seriously.

他把门垫点燃,是为了让警察能把他说的当回事儿。

I believe the house was deliberately set fire to.

我认为有人蓄意放火烧这栋房子。

The conversation set fire to his dreams.

谈话激发了他的梦想。

Their action set fire to public opinion.

他们的行动引起了激烈的舆论。

12. catch fire 着火

She was standing too close to the fireplace and her dress caught fire.

她站得离壁炉太近了,衣服烧着了。

His house caught fire last night.

昨晚他家失火了。

13. put out 扑灭(火);熄灭;伸出

Put out the fire before going to bed.

睡觉之前先熄掉火。

Its dangerous to put out your hand now.

现在你把手伸出去很危险。

14. in all 总共;总计

We are fifty in all.

我们总共五十人。

There are fifteen books on the first shelf, twenty-one on the second, which makes thirty-six in all.

书架的第一层有15本书,第二层有21本,总共是36本。

The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved.

—Victor Hugo

生活中最大的幸福是坚信有人爱我们。

——维克多·雨果(法国作家)

猜你喜欢
火柴区别警告
欧盟就脱欧乱局严厉警告英国
位置的区别
Hi~那边的朋友,你们好吗
看与观察的区别
区别
火柴变变变
AM2+和AM3有什么区别
甲流警告被提至最高级
完形填空集中营